Friday, August 22, 2008

Moving on in the writing field

The entry to the world of web content writing thus, began with the client from “Naukri.com”. Here I would like to mention another good and regularly updated job site- Monster.com.

I admit that it was no cake walk from here too. Had found one good client, however, if for me the decision was to work from home then I definitely needed to find more good people and regular work. Spending hours on end on some days and not having work for some days can be a frightening and rather demoralizing part of freelancing. One day you could be loaded with work, however, the next few days may mean not getting a single assignment. The key to overcoming this problem is not putting all your eggs into one basket.

You need to have a list of reliable clients, so this way you are assured of regular work. However, one thing you need to be careful about is not taking up more than you can handle. In a 9-5 job you may end up spending a maximum of 3-4 hours extra at work to complete a pending assignment. However, when you do work from home you can end up burning the midnight oil and thus, eating into your valuable family time.

A systematic approach and yes, good discipline is important. With no boss to sit on your head, (have experienced that at times) you tend to push or postpone your work. The end result you are left with a pile and don’t know how to finish it as per the deadline. Thus, some of the important rules to working from home would be:
•A disciplined and systematic approach.
•Understand your commitments at home and work and bite off only what you can chew.
•Working regularly and meeting deadlines is very important. In the online world, you are what your work reflects. The quality of the work and the sincerity with which you handle it (meeting deadlines) is what speaks in our favor. This would further help you build a good clientele over a period of time.

There have been several learning experiences in my journey to being an experienced and established writer. This is what I intend to share with you in the coming days. Don’t claim to be a great gun, but yes, can say proudly that today have created a niche for myself. Have built a clientele that works on trust and the quality of my work. Today I feel nice when people do come up with many offers and ask if an assignment can be done as against days when I did look around for work.

I am sure there are several others like me who would like to make a beginning. In fact, when I began I really wished that there would be one single source where I could find all the information I wanted. A guide to starting work from home is what I was looking for. This is exactly what I plan here. Sharing my experiences about where to look for work and once you begin your writing or blogging career what are the important things that you need to keep in mind.

Working from home can indeed be a satisfying experience (especially for a work at home like me). It means work, money and being at home all at the same time – you just need to know how to.

No comments: